The Master’s Degree Programme (M.Mus.) in Guitar is a post-graduate degree course, which aims to provide advanced-level training and in-depth artistic and academic knowledge in relation to the guitar. Throughout the co-operation of the Hochschule für Musik Mainz and the Koblenz International Guitar Festival & Academy, the course draws on the combined expertise of one of Germany’s leading colleges of music and specialised guitar institutions. Students are enrolled at both of the institutions.
The Hochschule für Musik Mainz is the only of its kind at university level in Rheinland-Pfalz. Such integration of artistic education into university education is unique in Germany. It is located in a cosmopolitan and vibrant environment, as Mainz is rapidly becoming a media and business hub of international importance.
The Koblenz International Guitar Academy is an all-year-round working academy of the Koblenz International Guitar Festival. It is dedicated to the development, training and further education of guitarists from all over the world. The Academy works in collaboration with institutions such as the Staatsorchester Rheinische Philharmonie, the Musikschule der Stadt Koblenz and the Koblenz International Guitar Society.
You'll find our master students' concerts in the calender of events (upcoming dates, in german).
The course is full-time over 2 years (4 semesters) and focuses on both solo and chamber music performance.
- Specialist individual tuition with Prof. Hubert Käppel and visiting professors (Prof. Alvaro Pierri, Prof. Aniello Desiderio, Prof. Hans-Werner Huppertz).
- Opportunity to work on diverse chamber music projects with a special emphasis on vocal accompaniment.
- Regular performance classes, and frequent chances to perform as part of the many concerts/events at the Hochschule für Musik Mainz and the Koblenz International Guitar Academy.
- Coaching/tuition from internationally renowned performers and teachers from the Hochschule für Musik Mainz.
- Students will also explore historical and modern performance practice and can take part in the interdisciplinary studies part of the curriculum.
- Writing and performance practice of transcriptions, arrangements and figured bass.
- 120 credit points (ECTS).
- Students also benefit from the close connection to the Koblenz International Guitar Festival.
- Students should hold a Bachelor‘s degree or a similar degree-equivalent diploma in Music, specialising in guitar.
- An entrance examination must be undertaken in the form of an audition. Candidates are required to prepare a varied 45 minute programme (to include at least one work by J.S. Bach), from which 20 minutes will be chosen for performance during the audition.
- A short interview with the audition panel, conducted in German (about 10 minutes duration).
- One year’s professional work experience
(e.g. concerts, teaching, competitions, recording).
- For international students, in addition to German language skills at a minimum B1-GERR level
(verification within the entrance exam is possible), English language skills are also required.
- The course can be started in both the winter and summer semester.
Audition applications should be made directly to the student office of the Hochschule für Musik Mainz. The application form (Antrag auf Zulassung zur Eignungsprüfung) can be downloaded from www.musik.uni-mainz.de.
When completed it should be posted to the address on the form, along with:
- Certified copy of previous academic achievements (e.g. Bachelor’s degree plus supplements/transcripts).
- Curriculum vitae.
- Audition programme.
- Repertoire list of significant works already studied.
- Examples of at least one year’s professional work experience (e.g. concerts, teaching, competitions).
- Two stamped self-addressed envelopes (C4).
- An application to study must also be made to the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz.
Important for applicants with foreign certificates:
An application for the recognition/validation of foreign certificates must be made to the International Admission Office of the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität. Please be aware that this process can take up to 6 weeks to complete. The fee for the recognition/validation of foreign certificates is € 60.00.
The deadlines for the audition application at the Hochschule für Musik Mainz are:
Summer semester 1 November
Winter semester 1 April
This is required for the - also essential - application at the Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz.
Deadlines for this are:
Summer semester 1 March
Winter semester 1 September
Tuition fees: € 2580.00 per semester
Semester fee at the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz: see here
The semester fees include a semester ticket, allowing free travel on public transport between Mainz and Koblenz, and also other selected parts of Rheinland-Pfalz and Hessen.
At present in Rheinland-Pfalz there are no separate fees for international students.